Staff: Office Hours M-F 8-5
Fr. Jim Steffes, Pastor
Deacon John Kluczny
Deacon Rich Aho
Sr. Lorraine Loecher, Pastoral Associate
Kathy Krzyzanowski, Administrative Associate
Mary Gorman, Financial Assistant
Brian Aho, Maintenance
405 4th St NW
Austin, MN 55912
In June 1857, a committee of Catholic residents was formed to establish the Catholic Church in the new community of Austin. The first Mass was celebrated in this section of Minnesota Territory on November 2, 1857. Beginning in 1861, Reverend George Keller of Faribault visited Austin many times, often ministering in private homes. The first church building was completed in November 1866 and was dedicated by Bishop Thomas Grace on June 15, 1868. The existing church was completed in the fall of 1896 and was dedicated by Bishop Cotter on Thanksgiving day of that same year. An extensive remodel of the church interior was completed in 1962. The primary church steeple and bell tower were destroyed by fire as a result of a lightening strike on June 10, 1976. In 2003, St. Augustine was clustered with the parish of St. Edward with Reverend Joseph Fogal serving as pastor. Today, the parish of St. Augustine is served by over 1,200 families and individuals.
The Vision of the Austin Catholic Community: We are a Catholic Faith community, united as stewards to build the kingdom of God through worship and ministry.
Mission Statement: St. Augustine and St. Edward, as partners in an intergenerational faith community, are committed to sharing the ministry of Jesus through liturgy, education and social outreach.